Building Jerusalem focuses on how we can build a better England which works for the many, not just the few. We draw heavily on our desire to build a progressive patriotism that puts the interests of the English people ahead of elites and promotes the idea of the common good.
You can join in by contributing the latest stories on Twitter via the #BuildingJerusalem hashtag, and by sharing @EngLabNet tweets. We’ll also use the Building Jerusalem section of Your England to summarise some of the most common themes.
You can also find an archive of stories below for inspiration.
Towards a progressive patriotism
- 18/11/17: Labour’s Democracy Review must support an English manifesto – John Denham
- 20/11/17: John Denham speaks to Southampton Fabians on English identity and English politics
- 27/10/17: Cllr Sam Tarry speaks about the need for need to champion Englishness as an emancipatory, historic driving force
- 13/10/17: For England and St George?
- 04/10/17: “England and its future are central to politics” – our piece on our launch event, including videos.
- 26/09/17: Winning in England could put Jeremy Corbyn in Downing Street – Shabana Mahmood and Jeremy Corbyn call for an English manifesto.
- 20/09/17: Labour Should Reclaim The England Flag And Woo ‘Patriotic’ Voters, Former Cabinet Minister Urges
- ‘Feeling English’ – here we link to external pieces by Anthony Barnett and Henry Tam that centre on the idea of civic patriotism.
- Labour must speak for England
- Labour must reclaim English patriotism if we are to beat Ukip and the Tories
- What is English identity? Owen Jones talks…
- 30/10/17: Lisa Nandy: Boosting Britain’s towns could rebalance economy and put JC in No 10
- 20/09/17: Leaders from across the North call on the Government to honour its commitments
- 4/09/17: IPPR’s Commission on Economic Justice delivers a new vision for the UK economy, one that joins prosperity with justice and builds the common good
- 4/08/17: TUC: It Is Government Choices, Not The Single Market, That Are Limiting British Control Over Our Own Industries
Winning our rights
- 5/12/17: Birmingham academics protest over university vice-chancellor’s pay
- 21/11/17: Outsourced workers seek better deal
- 30/10/17: Precarious workers are organising – trade unions need to catch up
- 4/09/17: McDonald’s hit by first UK industrial action
- 28/09/17: Taking the fight to ‘bad’ landlords
- 19/09/17: Sajid Javid should give councils free rein to tackle rogue landlords
- 24/08/17: Bad landlords beware, there is now a way for tenants to fight back
Environment and energy