Is this England?
Find out more about Is this England? here.
Corporate governance: Theresa May’s corporate governance reforms are a shadow of what she promised in her manifesto. Meanwhile, the excesses continue.
- 11/09/17: Water privatisation looks little more than an organised rip-off
- 29/08/17: Feeble plans show May has bottled it on boardroom reforms, warns top union boss
- 26/08/17: Five top FTSE-100 bosses paid eye-watering sums… to the fury of their investors who complain about their share price
- 21/08/17: May shelves plan for crackdown on high pay
Transport: We’ve covered the lack of infrastructure spending in the North, here. See also:
- 28/08/17: Rail services connecting major towns and cities in the North are four times slower than in the South
- 23/08/17: Six northern Labour leaders demand fair deal from the Tories on transport
Gambling: We’ve covered issues of exploitation in the gambling industry, and the government’s failure to act on FOBTs here.
- 31/09/17: Gambling firm 888 penalised record £7.8m for failing vulnerable customers
- 31/09/17: Revealed: how gambling industry targets poor people and ex-gamblers
- 31/09/17: Revealed: tipsters deliberately recommend losing bets to punters
- 27/09/17: High street betting must clean up its act
- 24/09/17: Number of problem gamblers in the UK rises to more than 400,000
Universities: Universities are continuing to reward Vice Chancellors with huge pay packets and fancy houses while students get saddled with debt. Read the coverage:
- No wonder university fees are soaring! The fat-cat vice chancellors who live rent-free in lavish homes worth £60m
- Universities have spent more on expensive managers since the introduction of fees
Housing: The UK’s housing market exacerbates inequality, with power concentrated in the hands of owners. Here are some of the worst examples:
- 14/09/2017: Government spends four times more subsidising private housing than building affordable homes
- A £7,600-plus service charge on my flat above a shop is bankrupting me
- Every Flat in a New South London Development Has Been Sold to Foreign Investors
Find out more about Building Jerusalem here.
- 20/09/17: Labour Should Reclaim The England Flag And Woo ‘Patriotic’ Voters, Former Cabinet Minister Urges
- ‘Feeling English’ – here we link to external pieces by Anthony Barnett and Henry Tam that centre on idea of civic patriotism.
- Labour must speak for England
- Labour must reclaim English patriotism if we are to beat Ukip and the Tories
- 4/09/17: IPPR’s Commission on Economic Justice delivers a new vision for the UK economy, one that joins prosperity with justice and builds the common good
- TUC: It Is Government Choices, Not The Single Market, That Are Limiting British Control Over Our Own Industries
Redistribution of power
- 20/09/17: Leaders from across the North call on the Government to honour its commitments
- 4/09/17: McDonald’s hit by first UK industrial action